St. Thomas Girls High School
School News

About Us

Education based on the Carmelite way of life has been the main thrust of the Apostolic Carmel Congregation. How did the Apostolic Carmel come to Aldona ? It is when Mr. Edward Soares the principal of the St. Thomas High School in Aldona was seriously ill in 1947, he was advised perfect rest. His wife Mrs. Beatrice who was managing the Girls’ section from class 1-VI, decided to take over the Principal-ship of the Boys’ section and give over the girls’ section to some religious congregation.

On September 5th, 1950 the school got recognition from the Bombay University and from the Pune Board in April 1951. The first batch of students was sent up the following year and obtained cent-per-cent  results.

The congregation of the sisters of the Apostolic Carmel is an Indian Congregation which took its roots in the year 1870, in its Foundress Mother Veronica a holy and dedicated woman, who was divinely inspired to reach out to many girls of her day through education and other works of mercy. The motto of the school was kept as OTHERS

Today, the sisters cater to the needs of children in high schools, teachers’ training institutions, degree colleges and technical schools and, all of which are conducted both in Regional languages and in the English mediym. They also run dreches, children’s homes, hostels and boarding houses all over India, in Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Pakistan, Africa and Rome.

The educational institution of the Congregation of the Apostolic Carmel, a Catholic Minority (under Article 30 (1) of the Constitution of India) cater to the educational needs of Catholic children. However, they are also open to children of all classes and creeds.

A villager adds-The people of Aldona and the neighbouring villages are grateful to the Apostolic Carmel Nuns for the establishment of this school in the village. As transport is still a problem, a High School with such academic excellence coupled with discipline is indeed an invaluable asset. The school endeavors to incorporate new ideas and techniques like computer education and the Green Revolution. The sisters involve themselves in the problems of the village and take an active part in all the activities, especially catechesis. Thus the school is an integral part of the Aldona Village.

About Us

Education based on the Carmelite way of life has been the main thrust of the Apostolic Carmel Congregation. How did the Apostolic Carmel come to Aldona ? It is when Mr. Edward Soares the principal of the St. Thomas High School in Aldona was seriously ill in 1947, he was advised perfect rest. His wife Mrs. Beatrice who was managing the Girls’ section from class 1-VI, decided to take over the Principal-ship of the Boys’ section and give over the girls’ section to some religious congregation.

On September 5th, 1950 the school got recognition from the Bombay University and from the Pune Board in April 1951. The first batch of students was sent up the following year and obtained cent-per-cent  results.

The congregation of the sisters of the Apostolic Carmel is an Indian Congregation which took its roots in the year 1870, in its Foundress Mother Veronica a holy and dedicated woman, who was divinely inspired to reach out to many girls of her day through education and other works of mercy. The motto of the school was kept as OTHERS

Today, the sisters cater to the needs of children in high schools, teachers’ training institutions, degree colleges and technical schools and, all of which are conducted both in Regional languages and in the English mediym. They also run dreches, children’s homes, hostels and boarding houses all over India, in Sri Lanka, Kuwait, Pakistan, Africa and Rome.

The educational institution of the Congregation of the Apostolic Carmel, a Catholic Minority (under Article 30 (1) of the Constitution of India) cater to the educational needs of Catholic children. However, they are also open to children of all classes and creeds.

A villager adds-The people of Aldona and the neighbouring villages are grateful to the Apostolic Carmel Nuns for the establishment of this school in the village. As transport is still a problem, a High School with such academic excellence coupled with discipline is indeed an invaluable asset. The school endeavors to incorporate new ideas and techniques like computer education and the Green Revolution. The sisters involve themselves in the problems of the village and take an active part in all the activities, especially catechesis. Thus the school is an integral part of the Aldona Village.